Spring is here and blueberries and cucumbers are in season!
What’s better than a refreshing, health-promoting, powerhouse of a smoothie made from locally sourced produce?
Cool Blue Smoothie
• 1 young thai coconut or 1/2 can organic coconut milk
• 1/2 bag organic frozen blueberries or 1 pint of fresh blueberries (frozen overnight to add texture and crunch to smoothie)
• 1 cucumber (skin on)
• local raw honey to taste (start with a tablespoon)
• juice of 1/2 lime
Note: For this recipe use either canned organic coconut milk for simplicity or try a fresh young thai coconut for a more bright flavor.
If you’ve never been tasked with opening a young coconut don’t worry, we’re here to help you out…
How To Open a Young Coconut
1. Add the canned organic coconut milk to a blender. If using a young thai coconut, open and pour the coconut water into the blender. Then scoop out the coconut flesh with an ice cream scoop and also add to the blender.
2. Add the blueberries, cucumber, and raw honey.
3. Blend until smooth. Add cold water if mixture is too thick and continue blending until desired consistency is achieved.
4. Serve in glasses, and squeeze the fresh lime juice on top
Find out why it’s good for you!
• Great source of energy-producing B vitamins
• Cucumber skins have a high content of vitamin C
• Contain compounds that reduce the risk of several cancer types, including breast cancer, ovarian cancer, uterine cancer and prostate cancer.
• Excellent source of silica which promotes joint health
• Boost memory
• Chock-full of health promoting anthocyanins that protect against degenerative diseases
• Support heart health
• Fights against oxidative stress
• High in dietary fiber
• Full of short-chain and medium-chain fatty acids- which are essential to good health
• Supports the the development of strong bones and teeth
• Has antiviral, antifungal, antibacterial, and anti-parasitic properties
• Aids digestion
• Excellent source of vitamin C which promotes wound healing and to support eye health
• Contains compounds with antioxidant and anti-cancer properties
• Great source of potassium
• Has antiviral, antibacterial, and antifungal properties
• If purchased from a local source, it’s a great way of treating seasonal allergies
• Promotes digestive health
• Is a powerful antioxidant
Click to Download CITYGRAM on the Apple App Store Today!
Health & Nutrition Columnist
Alejandra Carrasco, M.D. is the founder of Nourish Medicine, an innovative medical practice here in Austin, TX that attends to all aspects of an individual’s life, including health, family, community, nutrition, exercise, stress reduction, self-care, and renewal.
“Dr. Alex” is passionate about helping patients tap into the awesome wisdom of the body through Integrative and Functional Medicine.
Photography: Chris Perez