Doves in Brown Gravy
- 15 doves, plucked
- salt & pepper
- 1/4c lard
- 1/4c flour
- 4 large onions, sliced thin
- 2qt beef or venison stock
- Season the doves with salt and pepper.
- In a large pot, heat the lard over high heat and brown the doves very well.
- Remove the doves and add the onions to the pot. Cook the onions, stirring often, until tender.
- Add the flour and cook, stirring well, until the roux is nicely browned.
- Add the stock, a little at a time, until smooth. Lower the heat to medium and simmer the stock for about 15 minutes.
- Return the doves to the pot and cook over low heat for 1 hour.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve over grits or rice.
Rabbit Coconut Curry
- Grind all spices together in spice grinder.
- Sweat onion, garlic, ginger and chilies in oil (or ghee). Add spices and cook until aromatic.
- Add the coconut milk and simmer until the flavors of the sauce come together, about 10 min.
- Fold in all the vegetables and the rabbit. Allow to simmer for a few more minutes.
- Adjust the thickness of the curry with water. Adjust the seasoning of the curry with lime juice, sugar and salt to taste.
- Garnish with golden raisins, toasted (or candied) cashews, plenty of picked cilantro and lime wedges.
- Serve with strained, seasoned plain yogurt and Indian lemon pickle and lots of rice.
- 9 heads kale, washed and torn
- Segments of 9 oranges, zest and juice reserved
- 5 jalapenos, thin sliced
- 3 bunch green onion, chopped
- 1c pequillo peppers, diced
- 2c candied peanut
- 16oz red onion, shaved
- 1 bunch cilantro, picked
- Canola oil
- Olive oil
- Cane vinegar
- Combine orange segments, zest and juice, jalapeno, green onion, piquillo pepper, red onion and cilantro in mixing bowl.
- Allow to sit for 15 minutes.
- Toss kale in canola oil, olive oil and salt.
- Grill until charred and sweaty.
- Toss with other ingredients.
- Add cane vinegar, salt and olive oil to taste.
New to Citygram Austin magazine?
Click to download a free issue today and see why we’re the #1 City Guide app in Austin!
Our mobile issues are designed specifically for your smartphone or tablet and are loaded with interactive features that connect you to the best of local Austin.