The character and diversity of Austin is due in large part to the small businesses and local shops it houses. Support a few of our favorites this Valentine’s Day with our top picks for the gals AND the guys.
Valentine’s Day Cards
• $4.50 each
• Available at Mockingbird Domestics, Paper Source
• With a motto like ‘spread the happy,’ Little Low paper goods are sure to make you and your desk smile. Caitlin McClain started the Austin-based company and even though her products are carried throughout the US and abroad, she still controls the process from start to finish. Named after her golden retriever’s nickname, Little Low paper’s bold design and tongue-and-cheek messages are perfect for that special person in your life.
Stripes & Heart Pillow
• Available at Love Ding
• Love Ding is the brainchild of Denise Roberts, an Austin native and interior designer turned shop owner. Denise focuses on curating a collection of modern furniture, home decor and vintage pieces that celebrate her colorful aesthetic and vision. Read all about Denise Roberts and Love Ding in our Shop Local Feature here…
Bricolage Curated Florals
• $125.00 minimum
• Visit Bricolage to order
• Bricolage translates to: creating something from materials around you and that is exactly what Samantha Jensen is doing with her stunning floral arrangements. Steaming from a desire to inspire relationships and create memories, Samantha carefully crafts each arrangement for your wedding, home, eatery or loved one. The raw and organic florals can be seen regularly at Houndstooth Coffee, Gardner and Hotel Ella.
J. Hannah Co.
Private Blending Session
• Visit J.Hannah Co. to order
• Jessica Hannah is a natural perfumer who prides herself on creating signature scents out of the natural essences of plants. Her group workshops and private blending sessions offer an opportunity for clients to take a trip around the world through scent. Jessica crafts her perfume in small batches and bottles them in her Austin studio. Get a behind the scenes look at the perfuming process here…
Necklaces, Earrings and more
• $36.00 to $188.00
• Available at Fail Jewelry or Mockingbird Domestics
• Christine Fail came from a do-it-yourself background and after combining her degree in fine art and metal-smithing with years of jewelry making experience, Christine started Fail Jewelry. Her hands-on approach and organic design aesthetic is apparent in each hammer stroke or twist of the metal. Christine maintains the quality and value of her pieces through her customers who value the craftsmanship involved in creating a beautiful piece of handmade jewelry.
Custom Fit Blue Jean
• Available at Paleo Denim
• Paleo Denim is Austin’s own all-men denim company focusing on creating pants with character that will stand the test of time. After Richard Cole learned how to sew a pair of boxers from his mom he was hooked and out of his time behind the sewing machine Paleo Denim was born. The name comes from Richard’s time fossil hunting with his dad and is reflected in the organic change in state of pair of well-worn Paleo jeans over time.
Three Waves and a Shake Vinyl
• Available at Punctum Records at Studium
• Shivery Shakes stuff fuzz and pop into their latest release: Three Waves and a Shake. The Austin group boasts about their “training on how to become the new world order of sloppy garage bands” on their Bandcamp, which is also where you can hear the record before you buy it. The vinyl is also available in Punctum Record’s bins at the Studium collective in East Austin.
Noah Marion Quality Goods
• Available at Work
• Noah Marion is handcrafting slick, timeless leather goods for men and women at his South Austin collaborative, Work. Noah Marion Quality Goods are meant to be passed down from generation to generation and the natural vegetable tanned leather will break in and patina over time. Each piece will take on a life of its own and Noah wants his customers to embrace every thumb print and coffee stain that makes their piece unique. Take a tour of Work in our video shoot below…
Inlaid Wood Handled Wine Key
• Available at Spartan
• Sophistication meets minimalism at Spartan Shop in South Austin. Spartan has managed to curate a collection of handmade ceramics, home goods, leathers, apothecary, jewelry and so much more. Beauty and practicality are key to Spartan who focuses on editing their collection based on the changing of the seasons without losing sight of the quality or reliability of the objects they choose.
• Available at Twin Liquors
• Genius Gin does’t make any other spirits. That’s because, despite the fact some people think it tastes like Christmas Trees, gin is making a comeback. The bright, floral and crisp notes of the standard strength are highlighted on the palette without taking it over. So whichever way you’re drinking it, neat or in a Gimlet, James Bond would be proud. Read about Genius Gin’s in our local feature here…
|Written by: Katelyn Orlowski
Cards- Little Low
Pillow- Love Ding
Flowers- Michelle Boyd
Perfume- Chris Perez
|J.Hannah- Chris Perez
Jewelry- Fail Jewelry
Jeans- Paleo Denim
Vinyl- Waterloo Records
Dopp Kit- Noah Marion Quality Goods
Wine Key- Spartan
New to Citygram Austin magazine?
Click to download a free issue today and see why we’re the #1 City Guide app in Austin!
Our mobile issues are designed specifically for your smartphone or tablet and are loaded with interactive features that connect you to the best of local Austin.