Written by Shelley Neuman
Friday, April 10 7:00PM – 10:00PM
Tickets $20 at Speakeasy
We’re looking forward to the AFW Kickoff this year a little more than we had in years past. Why, you ask? This year, AFW looked to local stylists to recreate looks from different decades of the 20th century. Get transported through time and enjoy what is sure to be some expert styling from some of Austin’s most fashionable residents.
Saturday, April 11th 11AM-1PM
Nothing peaks an Austinite’s attention more than the word “brunch.” Add that with fashions from Rare Trends, Noonday Collection, and UAL for an equation you’ll want to be part of.
Thursday, April 16th 8PM
AFW continues on Thursday, April 16, with their usual runway shows, which can be hit and miss due to their highly varying aesthetics. Designers to look out for:
• Caycee Black – She formerly designed for brands like Tibi and Club Monaco and recently broke off on her own. Her pieces have a dark femme feel with an interesting architectural drape.
• Stephen Goudeau – This Louisiana designer’s line of womenswear walks the line between elegant an edgy with a monochromatic pallete.
• K. Frame – Designer Krystal Frame’s line is inspired by the West Coast, with a colors that are warm and sunny, and easy to mix-and-match designs perfect for that LA meets Austin kind of girl.
Friday, April 17th 8PM
AFW once again brings fashion stars from your TV screen onto the runway with their latest iteration of their Stars Runway show featuring designers from Project Runway. Designers to look out for:
• Gunnar Deatherage – Deatherage’s designs are dark and moody with a futuristic edge using sheer fabrics, leather, and more.
• Melissa Fleis – Fleis’s designs commit to bold elements using colors like vibrant reds mixed with stark black and whites which add a punch to her even bolder artisanal cuts.
• Korto Momolu – Momolu’s African roots inspired her collection filled with mixed prints and traditional fabrics. She mixes these unique fabrics with varying draping techniques and tailored cuts to make pieces that are completely original and unlike anything most things you see on the runway today.
Saturday, April 18th 8PM
The biggest fashion show and awards ceremony in Austin, AFW’s Finale is filled with people from all sides of the fashion world. Mix and mingle while enjoying one of the most interesting – to say the least – fashion shows and awards banquets of the year. Designers to look out for:
Nine Muses – the tailoring on this womenswear line is some of the best we’ve seen, and do you SEE that rainforest fabric?!
Gail Chovan – Chovan is not new to presenting her collection during AFW, and we’re excited to see what she brings to the stage this year. Although her garments are not the most wearable for the every day woman, her shows are more about aesthetic, and being taken into her gothic dreamworld is something everyone should experience at least once.
This is Sloane – Presenting her first ever runway show, 19-year-old Sloane Lenz is an avant-garde fashion designer paving her way in the Austin fashion scene. What we’ve seen of her looks have an ’80s meets pop art vibe, which could bring a new splash of color and joie de vivre into the Austin fashion world.
Saturday, April 11th, 2-7PM
Enjoy bites from French-inspired comfort food bistro L’Estelle House, pop up vendors selling an assortment of accessories, home decor, and more, and sip on wine and beer on tap from the newly opened Drafting Room.
Saturday, April 11th, 6PM
Urban Betty’s bash this year is working to raise funds for Austin Classical guitar and will include free drinks from Deep Eddy Vodka, a donation-based braid and curl bar to get your hair fashion week ready, and a killer silent auction featuring goods from local businesses.
Tuesday, April 14th, 6PM
Come enjoy free Deep Eddy Vodka (this seems to be the unofficial liquor of AFW), free treats, and view Rare Trends’ new short fashion film campaign. Guests will also receive free “AFW Survival Kit” goodie bags.
Tuesday, April 14th, 6PM
Newly opened FOUND is hosting an AFW bash featuring free drinks, bites, and a chance to win an ensemble from featured lines Rhode Resort and Suzanna Dai. The first 20 guests will also be gifted a fun treat from GertieGlam.
Thursday, April 16th, 6:30-9:30PM
Red Stella’s unofficial AFW party will feature a runway show with styles from former Citygram contributor Joanna Wilkinson’s new online store, Once Bitten, with hair and makeup by stylists at Red Stella. If you’re wondering where the “Hounds” come into play, the models will also be escorted down the runway by greyhounds! Guests are in for a treat because the night continues with acrobats, music by DJ Cheekbones, a photo booth, an open bar, and some “insane” raffle baskets that will be given away to lucky guests.
Click here for tickets and the full schedule of Austin Fashion Week events.
New to Citygram Austin magazine?
Click to download a free issue today and see why we’re the #1 City Guide app in Austin!
Our mobile issues are designed specifically for your smartphone or tablet and are loaded with interactive features that connect you to the best of local Austin.